Post by euphorion on May 8, 2017 4:11:22 GMT -5
Just wondering if I'm missing something...
The early-/mid game is always interesting and challenging. There's never enough credits, there are never enough ships, you can never research quickly enough...and politics can really get you sweating.
After I started playing again after a few years break I did a few games on Crazy ...and still considered the AI quite dull. After I took away about half their planets with 500k+ on the bank I couldn't get myself to continue playing.
So I started a game on Impossible (Degla, 32 planets) and failed a few times miserably very early (politics screwed me up - and most importantly my usual factions didn't work so it took a few tries until I figured out that I will need the 3 econ factions Valtos, Javat + Mok)
Now AI really gave me a hard time until I got settled, but with patience and once the economic power really kicked in I never got into major troubled either.
At turn 450-500 I started invading and now at turn 640 I again wonder why I should even continue the game:
- I got way more ships than I absolutely need
- I'm still running at 3k+/turn and 200k+ in the bank with a full invasion force and several colony3 ships waiting
- Once I got Trade Stabilization and managed to get 3 Trade alliances running the risk of negative politics is almost non existant (and even if politics go wrong - as it did once about 50 turns ago - I can easily overcome it before running dry on funds)
- The 2 AIs have no chance whatsoever to endanger any planet or ships of mine
- I don't even bother building updated ships as even the age old ones I'm still using are more than sufficient to blast the AI ships out of space (they attack along the same paths always anyway...)
Sure I could use less easy faction combos, maybe certain maps make it more difficult - but I still I bet that this would only incease the difficulty of the first 200-300 turns. If you survived that, got your economy running and have sufficient defenses - it's likely again just grinding the AI down.
So it is just me or is the late game really that dull always? Is there anything I'm missing ?